Sunday, December 28, 2008

Twilight

Blimey, but it's quite a movie poster, isn't it?

Anyhoo, one more film squeezed in before the end of the year (with one more to follow - watch this space). I confess I haven't read the book which the movie is based on, so I'm coming to this relatively clean. Except for one major fact, mind you: I come to this movie as a pretty big fan of Buffy, which is going to take a lot of beating.

What's the big?
You know, I have to say that overall I liked this film a fair bit. It sort of lost me towards the end, when there's a bit of drama shoehorned in and derring-do to be, er, done in order to save our heroines's life from the Nasty Vampires; and for a two-hour movie the second hour felt a lot longer than 60 minutes. But I enjoyed the set-up and the performance of Kristen Stewart as Bella, the female lead, in particular. Yes, it's slow, and yes, it's faintly ridiculous - um, hello, like, could these people look more like vampires? - but it captures teenage romance and angst very well indeed. Go see it and unleash your inner emo.

My bad
But there is still the Buffy thing. And Buffy did all this way before, way better - indeed the central Angel/Buffy will-they-won't-they is practically photocopied here. And most crucial of all: Buffy did this with humour as well as angst, which sounds easier than it is. (To be fair, the heroine's Dad here has a nice line in dry wit, which gets a few laughs.) So all in all, I'm sitting around the 3/5 mark, though with time I may upgrade this.

Do the math
Well, respect to the movie for one thing: Bella does seem to be a bit of a geek, as does Edmund. (Edward? I forget.) And part of their "bonding" comes when they both own up to knowing the square root of pi (1.77...) - so that's how to get the girls? Jings, I wish someone had told me that when I was in high school!

No comments:

Post a Comment