Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Films of the year - number five

Quite tricky narrowing this lot down to a top five, now I come to actually make my list. I've decided to go with my gut instincts, in terms of films which appealed at the time and gave a real cinematic experience. So no room for No Country For Old Men, which may well come to be regarded as an outright classic, but just didn't quite fully grab me (and besides, the Coens then went on to make the truly lamentable Burn After Reading, so they get marks off for wasting two hours of my life with that garbage). And ditto for There Will Be Blood, which was too much of an endurance test for this reviewer.

Anyway, on we go with number five: the animated, sort-of-documentary Waltz With Bashir. A very powerful movie with a great soundtrack (Hebrew heavy metal! Max Richter!) and a great deal to say about events in the Middle East, both back in the day and, I have to suppose, now. Unforgettable ending too.

No comments:

Post a Comment