Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Films of the year - number three

Now I confess that I wasn't particularly "in" on all the expectation surrounding this movie, given that I still think a viral is something you buy Contact 200 for. But a movie from the guy who brought us Lost has to be worth a look, surely? And to its credit - unlike the afore-mentioned TV series - Cloverfield knows not to outstay its welcome. Its a lean 85 minutes, and I was gripped throughout. A refreshing take on the disaster movie, crossed with Godzilla - what's not to like?

And, never underestimate the value of having a film filled with actors you've never really heard of - it's so much harder to work out who is wearing the red vest a la Star Trek.

But is it great cinema? Look, I enjoyed it a great deal, and isn't that what counts? (A theme we shall return to later...)

No comments:

Post a Comment