Thursday, January 1, 2009

And at number one...

Happy New Year, folks - and let's wave a fond farewell to last year by unveiling my personal choice of In Bruges as Film of the Year 2008. Seriously.

Yes, I know it ain't high art, and I doubt it'll go down in history as a milestone in cinema history, though I have half a mind to put a bet on that it will become a cult classic. But you know what? I loved it. Hooted my way throughout, and marvelled at both a decent performance by Colin Farrell (who knew?) and a brilliant scene-stealing one from Ralph Fiennes. I enjoyed it all the more because, quite frankly, the trailer for the film was well pish.

Comedy is not easy. Comedy drama even less so. And ladies and gentlemen, this movie delivers. Unless of course you have problems with bad language...

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Maths Teacher. Good reviews. Looking forward to 2009...

    My own top five (I know you didn't ask, but hey, it's a free blogosphere!):

    1. In Bruges
    2. The Orphanage
    3. Waltz with Bashir
    4. Man on Wire
    5. WALL-E

    And, because some silver linings have clouds, the worst three:

    1. Burn After Reading
    2. Sweeney Todd
    3. Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

    Ta-ra!

    ReplyDelete